Flying Flour, Splashing Spices, Roomful Aromas

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Parker House Rolls, My Grandmother's Recipe

And in her handwriting from 1963.  This is the only page saved from a gardening book she kept with her cookbooks. Notice the bookworm hole in the corner.  I loved this book and was saddened to learn it was gone.  But I do hav and treasure this handwritten recipe~  No one has penmanship like this anymore.  Sad!  I collect hand written recipes.  Some are great becasue the dish is tasty nad others are good becasue the penmanship is fabulous.  The are fun to flip through.  Pne day, (soon) I will make a framed arrangement.  Meantime, I try tomake a good collectiof for my nephews, Riley and Davis.  They love to eat and will adventure into the culinary realm one of these days.

Because it is hard to read:
Parker House Rolls, Nettie Delores Stotts
1 cup scalded milk     2 Tbsp. shortening
2 Tbsp. sugar              1 tsp. salt
1 pkg yeast            1/4 c. luke warm water
1 well beaten egg    2  1/2 c flour
Combine milk shortening and salt.  Cool to warm. Add yeast in warm water, add egg, gradually stir iin flout to form soft dough.  Beat vigorously, cover and let rise in warm place till doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.  Turn out on floured surface and make into rolls.  Bake in hot oven, 400 degrees about 15 minutes.  Makes three dozen.

Now, like many grandmothers, hse thought many kitchen tasks were intuitive!  Here I will add details for "Turn out ... make into rolls..."  that I needed.  Punch down dough and turn out.
Nettie kept a pastry cloth in a plastic bag and her rolling pin had a cloth cover on it as well.  She swore this kept any dough or pastry from sticking. I watched hours upon hours and never saw her fight a dough.  No, my mat and pin are not wrapped!  Some kids won't learn.  And yes, I fight with stuck doughs on many occassions!  Back on task here, rol dough 1/2 inch thick and cut with 3 in iscuit cutter.  Brush each circle with melted butter and fold in half.  Place each half circle in a 13 X 9  buttered pan.  Allow to rise about 45 minutes and bake.

2 comments:

  1. There is something wonderful about continuing family recipes. I have created two family cookbooks full of recipes from my grandma and her five children, along with lots of family memories. Those books (of which I sold 300 each) are family treasures.

    P.S. I'm not sure if you realize it, but most bloggers reply to comments via email. When you don't provide one in a comment, it makes it a lot less likely that you'll hear back from anyone. If you don't mind, then don't worry about it, but I thought I would mention it.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anybody hand write anything anymore? :)
    I'm sure Nanny would be proud.

    ReplyDelete